During periods of hot weather, elderly patients and pregnant women are at a higher risk of developing heat stress.
- High temperatures
- Headache and nausea
- Dizziness and fatigue
- Muscle pain and leg swelling
Please be mindful of at-risk people (the elderly and very young, pregnant women, overweight persons or those working or even exercising outdoors) who may need support during this heatwave.
Here are a few tips on how to help 😊👍:
- Stay indoors, especially during the warmest times of the day
- Slow down and pace activity
- Apply sun screen (factor 50) liberally and wear broads brimmed hat
- Avoid heavy meals
- Stay hydrated, drinking plenty of water, if taking tablets for heart failure ensure you contact your doctor before increasing fluid volumes markedly
Replace salts and minerals, isotonic sports drinks or oral re-hydration solutions (such as dioralyte) should be taken and make it much easier to stay hydrated.
Finally, if you are worried about an elderly person or anyone else please bring them to see the doctor. Sometimes we may need to temporarily stop some medication or give intravenous re-hydration solutions if the above measures are not working.
Click here to request an appointment with one of our doctors.